Tongue Twisters that will drive you crazy!
What is a tongue twister?
A tongue twister is a sentence or a phrase that consists of a sequence of similar sounding words. The similarity makes them very hard to pronounce, especially if you say them fast.
Books with tongue twisters are an enormous aid for children that are having difficulty with reading.
The funny sentences make tongue twisters hilarious for children. This will get them practicing their speech, and once the children have a tongue twister book in their hands there’s no stopping them from unknowingly practicing their reading skills like true champs!
You have to try and say the words of tongue twisters not only as fast as you can, but also very clearly! Native speakers find tongue twisters difficult – imagine trying to say a tongue twister in another language! –
such as this Spanish tongue twister:
“El perro de San Roque no tiene rabo porque Ramón Rodríguez se lo ha robado.”
Translation: “Saint Roque’s dog has no tail because Ramón Rodríguez has stolen it.”
and this German tongue twister:
“Blaukraut bleibt Blaukraut und Brautkleid bleibt Brautkleid”
Translation: “Red cabbage remains as red cabbage and a wedding dress remains as a wedding dress.”
Tongue twisters can be used purely for fun, but remember, they are totally useful for practicing pronunciation. They are beneficial for fluency in a language, and a great warm-up exercise for vocal muscles.
Do grown-ups need to say tongue twisters?
Yes! – Newsreaders, public speakers, politicians and actors all use tongue twisters to practice speaking clearly! The trickier, the better.
Have fun getting your tongue twisted! Go and challenge someone to a tongue twister battle!
Let’s see if you can say these ones…
We’ll start off with a classic tongue twister:
- ‘She sells sea-shells on the seashore’ – repeat it many times over as fast as you can!
Moving swiftly along…
- ‘Which wristwatches are Swiss wristwatches?’
- ‘Would you like a proper cup of coffee from a proper copper coffee pot?’
- ‘How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?’
- ‘Susie works in a shoeshine shop. Where she shines she sits, and where she sits she shines shoes’ (be very careful saying this one!)
Wow, you’re so good at this! – Lets continue with this tongue twister that I made up by myself..
- ‘Moana and Maui momentarily got married on a massive, magical, mystic mountain, so Moana and Maui remained merrily married’
That was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy! Wasn’t it?
Now that you’re a tongue twister expert, go to the next level
5 more tongue twisters that will truly drive you crazy
and there are a few wacky jokes at the end!
The Amazing Activity Handbook
By Parragon Books – Over 200 things to make and do!
NOTE: If you are experiencing trouble with this website, click the padlock icon in the address bar to see if your browser/Firefox has blocked parts of this page such as images appearing as ‘broken’
Here are the tongue twisters from the video for those of you who want to practice some more…
- ‘Red truck, black truck, red truck, black truck’
- ‘Mrs Smith’s Fish Sauce Shop’
- ‘A noisy noise annoys an oyster’
- ‘Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, how many pecks of pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?’
- ‘Betty Botter had some butter, “But,” she said, “this butter’s bitter. If I bake this bitter butter, it would make my batter bitter. But a bit of better butter – that would make my batter better.” So she brought a bit of butter, better than her bitter butter, and she baked it in her batter, and the batter was not bitter. So ’twas better Betty Potter bought a bit of better butter.’
Want to know even more tongue twisters?
There are quite a few books full of crazy tongue twisters for kids. Here are the best ones that you might like to get for your children and have them practicing their reading skills and toning up their vocal muscles without even knowing it:
- ‘Elmo’s Tricky Tongue Twisters’ – from the Sesame Street Little Golden Book series. It has very high ratings. For children aged 4 – 7, through some of the tongue twisters may be a bit difficult – practice makes perfect!
- ‘Oh Say Can You Say?’ by Dr. Seuss – It’s available as an interactive book app by Oceanhouse Media Inc. It has tappable words, aimed at young readers and gets them mimicking and memorising words really fast! Aimed at children aged 3+
- ‘Lots of Tongue Twisters for Kids’ by Whee Winn. A fantastic book packed with over 250 tongue twisters for both kids and grown-ups to share. ‘Lots of Tongue Twisters for Kids’ by Whee Winn can be pre-ordered now, but is available as from 5th February 2019!
- ‘An Antic Alphabet of Tricky Tongue Twisters’ by Ruth Veres and Peter Veres. This is a colouring book. For each letter of the alphabet you will find a comical picture to colour as well as a 12-syllable tongue twister line. ‘Valiant Vera Vaulted Vats of Vicious Vipers’ – below some of the pictures you will find the definitions of unusual words that children might not know e.g Valiant – Courageous and determined. Vats – Tanks or tubs usually used to hold liquid. Vipers – Thick-bodied poisonous snakes. A very enjoyable book that is creative and educational!
- ‘Halloween Tongue Twisters for Kids’ a kindle book by Riley Weber. A really fun and interactive book. You can also find the paperback version. Over 50 pages of spooky illustrations and tongue twisters such as 1: ‘Six spooky spiders spread a silky sticky web’, 2: ‘Ghosts, ghouls and goblins. Goblins, ghosts and ghouls. Ghouls, goblins and ghosts.’ 3: ‘Bizarre black bats barely bite’.
- ‘Amazing Animal Alphabet of Twenty-Six Tongue Twisters’, by Robert Pizzo. 32 brilliantly illustrated pages. Aimed at ages 5 – 8. A very creative book that will get your kids practicing and practicing the vocabulary, thus increasing their reading skills at an alarming rate!
- ‘Just Joking’, from the National Geographic Kids book series. Packed with over 300 hilarious jokes, tricky tongue twisters, and ridiculous riddles. 208 pages. Aimed at 7 – 10 year olds. This book has very high ratings – it’s loved by both kids and adults. ‘Just Joking’ is full of stunning pictures of animals, as you’d expect from National Geographic. It also has fun facts – there’s absolutely nothing not to like about this book – except that it’s so good that you might end up buying the whole series of six National Geographic ‘Just Joking’ books for the kids!
Discover funny books full of tongue twisters!!!…
Tongue Twisters in Amazon – US
Tongue Twisters in Amazon – UK
Tongue Twisters in Amazon – ES